Welcome to the Davidson Historical Society
The DHS promotes an understanding and appreciation of the history of Davidson, North Carolina and its surrounding area.
The town of Davidson was founded with the establishment of Davidson College in 1837. In 1835, when the Concord Presbytery sought a site for a Presbyterian men’s college, churchman and planter William Lee Davidson II sold them 469 acres on a high and healthy ridge between the Catawba and Yadkin rivers. The college was named for his father, General William Lee Davidson who was killed fighting the British at the Battle of Cowan’s Ford in 1781.
Click here for a timeline of town history.
Tour of the Potts-Titus House
This Colonial Revival brick home was built circa 1926 by Cloyd Potts and remained in the Potts family for over 80 years. Cloyd, a local businessman, served as Postmaster of Davidson (1910-1915) and as a Town Commissioner (1916-1923, 1931-1967). Cloyd and his wife Gladys Henderson Potts raised their daughters, Margaret and Gladys, in this house. Margaret continued living in it until her death in 2006, after which the home was sold to the current owners.
Owners Derek and Laurin Titus will host as John Cunningham, grandson of Cloyd and Gladys and nephew of Margaret Potts, will share stories about the Potts family.
This program is for current DHS members only.
|Davidson Historical Society
Post Office Box 144
Davidson, NC 28036
Site By: EyeBenders